The Cartographer of No Man’s Land Book Discussion Questions
- What is the meaning of “no man’s land” within the context of the book? Is there more than one meaning?
- Throughout the novel, chapters switch between the war and Snag Harbor. How does this technique contribute to the book?
- Why do you think Angus chooses not to tell Hettie about finding Ebbin? How would the truth affect Hettie? How does the secret affect their relationship?
- What role do birds play within the novel? How does this motif impact the story?
- How did the town’s reaction to Avon Heist play out throughout the book? Do you think there could have been another outcome?
- How do the images of father and son at sea change throughout the book?
- Why does Ebbin assume the identity of Havers? Do you think he recognizes Angus or is completely lost to his new identity?