Fractured Land: The Cost of Inheriting Oil Book Discussion Questions
For more discussion questions, visit www.lisawestbergpeters.com
- The author feels that even if she sells her mineral rights, she’s still complicit in the business of extracting fossil fuel. To what extent do you feel complicit in the oil boom by virtue of your lifestyle?
- What changes, if any, have you noticed in the Fargo-Moorhead community since the North Dakota oil boom began?
- How does the author connect her family’s history with her contemporary dilemma?
- Why did the author choose to write a personal memoir about an issue that is clearly larger in scope?
- Did the author’s interaction and interviews with others (farmers, geologists, lawyers) affect your opinions of the oil boom? How so?
- What would you do if you inherited North Dakota mineral rights today? What would you consider as factors in your decision?